Sunday 23 June 2013

Archaeology and Birding in Cyprus

Two days at the Paphos archaeological site gave me a brief glimpse of Greek and
Roman history interspersed with a little birding.
At the site a number of Zitting cisticolas zipped across the burnt grass, while a
hunting kestrel obliged.
First up the House of Theseus I was impressed with the quality of the mosaics as I
surveyed the site.

The detail of the mosaics and Theseus engaged with the Minotaur was a  nice piece of work.
At the House of Dionysos young swallows were being fed by adults.
As I walked towards Paphos light house I found the Agora and Odeon at it's rear.
Making my way back to the main gate I noted Sardinian warblers feeding young
as the temperature rose.
Another visit  on the 13th of June I returned catching more detail of the superb
mosaics. The first bath of Achilles

No comments:

Post a Comment